Hair coloring is an integral part of the fashion arsenal of modern women and increasingly men. This is evident by the billion-dollar incomes of hair dyeing and coloring brands.
While most consumers buy synthetic hair dyeing brands, studies have shown that awareness amongst the masses about hazards of these synthetic products have increased in recent years. These store-bought products contain potentially detrimental chemicals that, at high exposures, have been associated with skin and breathing infections, a weakened immune system, and even cancer.
Benefits of Natural Hair Color
Natural and herbal hair colors have significant benefits over synthetic products; these can be summarized as follows:
- No addition of harmful chemicals and health friendly
- No pungent smell
- No or very limited hair damage
- A more natural hair look
- Cheaper than store-bought
Unfortunately, going all-natural has its demerits as well. These include:
- Actual color of hair is dependent on the ingredients and herbs used, their ratio, application method and natural hair color. Therefore, experimentation is required before settling for the desired color.
- Hair colors do not last long as compared to synthetic products.
However, we feel that these drawbacks are insignificant and health of our skin and hair takes precedence over the ease of using these carcinogenic liquids.
Herbs and Natural Ingredients to Darken hair
- Coffee and Tea are ideal for dyeing hairs darker because of their dark hues. Tea, however, works best depending on natural hair color.
Start by brewing the tea or coffee by boiling 1 tablespoon in 1 and a half cup water for a quarter of an hour. Once the water has reduced by about a third, let it cool naturally. Later, Filter the brew and continue to wash your hair. It may help to Condition your hair first and then carefully pour the brew through your damp hair.
Another method is to use Rosemary, Nettle and Sage herbs.
Boil the herbs with water in a small pan until herbs release their color and water is very dark. Turn off the heat and cool it then strain herbs out. It is advised to use a filter to remove all small pieces. The best thing about this mixture is that it can be stored for future use. It is advisable to store it in a refrigerator.
When you want to dye your hair, Spray or brush the mixture on your scalp about an hour before showering each day. To clean off any extra bit you can shampoo as usual.
Walnut Shells powder acts as a very strong dark hair dye
Put a quarter cup of dried Walnut shells in a grinder and grind to reduce the shells to a fine powder. Put this powder in a tea bag and place in 3 cups of water for at least 6 hours or ideally overnight. Recommended use is to use this liquid as a rinse in the shower for hair and dry in the sun or through blow-dryer if possible.
Got Soy Sauce and Apple Cider Vinegar? These are a natural hair darkening liquids.
Combine Soy Sauce and Apple Cider Vinegar in a bottle and set it aside for even mixing. Prior to dying your hair, shampoo, and condition as usual. Pour this mixture through your hair as a final rinse and dry without using a towel.
Herbs and Natural Ingredients to Lighten hair
- Tea is such a wonderful natural hair dye. It can also be used to lighten hair shades. A blend of Chamomile Tea and Calendula Tea gives impressive results. In addition to dark color, Calendula Tea gives a golden hue.
Mix two cups of Chamomile Tea and a half cup of Calendula Tea in a small container. To prevent settling of contents, shake well before each use. Spray into hair and brush through to get equal distribution on the required part of hairs. It is best to dry this mixture in a sun for 1-2 hours before having a final rinse.
Lemon also lightens the hair color and is one of the best natural hair dye.
Using a spray bottle is advisable as diluted lemon juice can be evenly sprayed onto hairs. As with other mixtures, always Shake well before each use. Directly spray on target areas of the head and before heading out into the sun for about an hour Or blow-dry parts of hair to lighten them.
- Rhubarb root has properties that help lighten the hair.
- Sunflower Petals and Marigold also can be used to dye hair light.
Herbs and Natural Ingredients to Cover Gray hair
- Covering gray hairs is easier using natural ingredients. Coffee or Tea are a natural choice. However saffron is also suitable for this purpose. This natural spice adds a golden brown hue.
- Recipe:Saffron is very expensive so please be careful not to waste anything. To extract the spice color, boil up a small pot of water and place saffron in it for 20 minutes. Once the water color has changed, remove the heat and let it cool. This mixture can be conveniently applied directly to hair and scalp. For proper distribution, hair should be completely covered in this liquid. Wait till your hair is completely dry and you can shampoo and condition as usual.
Herbs and Natural Ingredients to Dye Other Shades and Colors
- To apply Red hair color use calendula, marigold, rosehips, and hibiscus.
Stew the flowers and herbs in water for half an hour before straining to remove the solid particles. Cool before use and as with other natural colorings, spray directly on the head and dry using a blow-dry or directly in sun.
Beet and Carrot Juices are an ideal choice for adding natural red tints.
Apply about a cup of these juices to your hair and leave on for at least an hour.
- I am including Henna in this section because this is the most famous hair dyeing natural herb but it produces colors as varying as very dark to a light shade of orange, depending on the hair color, quantity applied and exposure time.
It is advisable to mix about one part of henna powder with two parts lemon juice. A tablespoon vinegar can also be added to strengthen the color but it is optional. Let this mixture remain untouched for several hours until a paste is formed. Apply to hair and comb through.
- If everything else fails, food-grade colors can also be added to water to use a temporary hair-dye material. However, this method must be used sporadically.
Always test on a small part of hair before using on the whole head, especially on the chemically treated hair. Perfect color will be achieved after trial and error, so patience is the key. Lastly, is this method for everyone? Probably not but we urge the masses to use natural hair dyes instead of the synthetic ones to avoid health issues.